Guilds are one of your most frequently-requested features, so we are excited to announce its release today. Our guilds implementation is powerful -- players can create new guilds, set guild roles, manage guild membership, and store guild-related data. An upcoming update will add guild stats, leaderboards, and inventory.
PlayFab builds Guilds on top of a system we call Entities, or more specifically Entity Groups. Entity Groups are any logical group of Entities, which serve a number of purposes in your game. Here are some examples beyond Guilds and Clans:
- Parties - Entity Groups can be used for short term groups created that allow individual players to accomplish an immediate goal, then easily disband.
- In-game subscription to information - Do you have a single-instance legendary item in your game? Do players want constant updates about what is happening with that item? Create an Entity Group focused on that item, with all player entities interested in the item as members.
- Friend's List - Because a group is a general collection of playing entities within a title, they can be used to manage friend lists using the invite/application system for users to friend each other.
- Shared Group Data - You can define a group that shares a common set of data.
- Managing Player Access to Data - On a title player account or character you can set a policy stating that their profile and data are only accessible by a specific group or a type of group member.
In short, Entity Groups can be any collection of Entities which need a persistent-state bound to that group. Since Entity Groups are also Entities themselves, they will contain all the initial features of Entities: object data, file data, profiles.
The Game Manager now has a Groups view to manage your groups.
As well the Player view has a section for what groups a player is a member.
And permissions can be managed for that member in a group.
Learn more about using Groups here.