Today we’re excited to be announcing the most powerful and versatile pair of LiveOps features we’ve created yet – Bulk Actions and Scheduled Tasks.
- Bulk actions gives you a way to iterate through all players in a given segment, performing an action for each player. Actions can be as simple as giving an item or sending a push notification, or as complex as running arbitrary CloudScript for that player.
- Scheduled Tasks let you schedule an action to happen at a predetermined time in the future, either once, or on an ongoing basis. The action can be arbitrary CloudScript, or it can trigger a bulk action to run.
Together these give you a very powerful pair of tools for engaging with your players. Some examples of how you might use them include:
- Change your game configuration every day at 5pm to activate a happy hour promotion.
- Give a special New Year’s gift to all players who logged in during the last 2 weeks.
- Reward players who spent money in the last week based on spending tiers, where the more money they spent, the more valuable the gift.
- Fix corrupted player state for all players affected by a recent game bug.
Features in Action
The list of tasks:
Creating a new bulk action task to apply an action to every player in a particular segment:
We have published tutorials on how to use these on our docs site:
Also, if you want to build your own tools, we have created a new set of Admin APIs for managing tasks:
- AbortTaskInstance - Stop a currently running task.
- CreateActionsOnPlayersInSegmentTask - Create a task that iterates through all players in a segment to execute an action on each one.
- CreateCloudScriptTask - Create a task which runs an arbitrary CloudScript function.
- DeleteTask - Remove a task.
- GetActionsOnPlayersInSegmentTaskInstance - Get information about a previously run player action task.
- GetCloudScriptTaskInstance - Get information about a previously run CloudScript task.
- GetTaskInstances - Get a list of previously run tasks.
- GetTasks - Get a list of task definitions.
- RunTask - Run a specific task immediately regardless of its schedule.
- UpdateTask - Change certain properties of a task definition.
We’d love to hear your feedback as you start to use these new features! Please share your thoughts in our Feature Requests forum.