Hello everyone! It's been a while since our last roadmap update and we want to let you know what’s coming and when for Azure PlayFab to help you plan more effectively. Going forward, we plan to release roadmap details on a quarterly basis. Our next update will be in July 2021.
Here is the latest set of updates for Azure PlayFab. As always, we welcome your feedback. The Feature Requests section of our forum allows you to post, comment, and vote on ideas from our community. Addressing issues also remains a high priority so please continue to share your findings in the Bugs section of our forums. Thank you for your continued support!
Note: While this roadmap reflects our aspirations, future facing features and timelines are subject to change without notice.
Recently Shipped (since our last update):
We’ve made updates to our PlayFab pricing polies:
- Usage Based Pricing was rolled out as a new and revamped pricing plan
- Including a new pay-as-you-go plan with no monthly minimums
- We increased the player minimum in developer mode (now up to 100k players) to help you develop faster
Exciting updates to our PlayFab Multiplayer Services:
- We have greatly expanded our Multiplayer Services (MPS) regional footprint in the US and Asia
- Added support for AMD SKUs helping to provide a better price/performance ratio for multiplayer optimized virtual machines
- There are new API endpoints for self-servicing quota requests and updating service build names (see the API documentation for more details)
PlayFab Party launched in the fall of 2020:
- Party shipped its Unity plugin to multiple platforms (now Generally Available on Game Developer Kit (GDK), Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 & 5, iOS, and Android)
- Shipped its Unreal Engine 4 plugin to Game Developer Kit (GDK) and Windows.
- Lowered the price of PlayFab Party, helping teams save up to 90% on game voice chat and data comms - note that the service is already free when using the Xbox network
Launched PlayFab Experiments as an replacement to the existing A/B Tests preview feature. We’ve continued to iterate on the feature adding:
- Exclusion groups to prevent interaction effects on your experiments
- The ability to run multiple concurrent experiments
- Title data now has a primary configuration and title data overrides to help you quickly manage your game experiments
- We also released the Segmentation CRUD APIs for titles integrating their own solutions for creating targeted player groups
PlayFab Insights has added the following functionality:
- Enabled Insight features in Free Accounts and in Development Mode
- Implemented Event Sampling and custom data retention
- Launched Data Explorer into Public Preview
In Progress Features and active areas of Development
The following list is a peek into our PlayFab roadmap, identifying the most significant features we are currently working on. While not comprehensive, this list is intended to provide visibility into our key investments. Note that, while these features and dates are plan of record at time of posting, availability is subject to change.
Today we have 4 major services in preview:
- Azure Functions Integration – This is a replacement to our current cloudscript solution. CloudScript using Azure Functions brings support for new languages (including C#) as well as local debugging in Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code. Azure Functions is in Public Preview.
- User Generated Content (UGC) and Economy V2 – After receiving feedback from private preview customers we are cleaning up and preparing our Economy v2 APIs for Public Preview. Public Preview for UGC is expected to start in July. The rest of the Economy v2 APIs are targeted to release into public preview by early 2022.
- PlayFab Matchmaking – This is available in public preview right now. While you can check it out today, note that we are actively developing supporting services including a real-time notification solution to avoid polling as well as a lobby/session service to better manage your multiplayer state. Check out PlayFab Matchmaking today and reach out if you are interested in learning more about our upcoming multiplayer services which are targeting private preview later this year.
- Leaderboards V2 - This is in private preview with select customers. While this service remains an integral part of our roadmap, we have chosen to prioritize other more critical feature areas based on feedback and plan to re-engage development of Leaderboards v2 in the Fall of 2021.
THANK YOU to all our amazing game creators building with PlayFab today. None of this would be possible without you. Please keep the feedback coming!