As game developers, we strive to build incredible gaming experiences with dynamic play that drive engagement. Launching an online multiplayer game is challenging as it requires solving the complex issue of how to scale multiplayer servers without pulling resources away from creating the actual game.
This preview of PlayFab Multiplayer Servers brings you the expertise and scalability of PlayFab and Azure to get multiplayer games up and running quickly with cloud compute while you focus on the game. Our re-engineered multiplayer server solution simplifies cloud resource management to enable dynamic, scale-based game servers on-demand. We operate the service and servers, so you don’t have to manage dedicated, on-premises server hardware.
The enhancements to a multiplayer game are immediate: Seamless connectivity, quick loading environments and responsive game play. Focus on delighting multiplayer gamers with what they really want to do: Chat and connect with other human beings and hone their skills through compelling online game play.
PlayFab Multiplayer Servers orchestrates Azure compute resources to reduce your cost and complexity of hosting dedicated game servers. Key benefits include:
- Dynamically respond to player demand by efficiently scaling custom multiplayer servers as containerized apps on Azure virtual machines. Only pay for Azure resources necessary for gameplay plus a small pool of stand-by servers to handle bursts in demand.
- Leverage the proven scale of Xbox and Microsoft Azure by using the same global infrastructure that supports games like Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege. Azure data centers close to players around the globe ensure a low-latency and fast multiplayer game play experience.
- Control server and development costs without sacrificing performance through the power, reach, and economy of Azure, using PlayFab experiences and tools optimized for game developers. Gain operational insight 24/7 with real-time PlayStream telemetry and analytics.
Updated multiplayer tab
Right now, game developers using PlayFab Multiplayer Servers receive simple, cost-effective access to Azure’s best compute hardware (Av2, Dv2, Fv1) and global scale in 14 Azure regions, all with 24/7 production support from PlayFab. Current PlayFab customers will also note the following updates with today’s public preview:
- Multiplayer tab in Game Manager now displays Multiplayer Servers
- Multiplayer Server APIs published to all PlayFab SDKs
- Enhanced conceptual documentation and samples
- Updated PlayFab Terms of Service
Editing a build configuration with Multiplayer Servers
Today, all PlayFab Indie, Pro, and Enterprise tier customers can access the service and use a limited, free quota of Multiplayer Servers for product evaluation and testing. We encourage you to log into PlayFab to try out today’s update and our new matchmaking service, dig in to our how-to tutorial to go deeper, and to let us know what you think on Slack, on the forums, or in email. If you aren’t a current PlayFab customer but still interested in Multiplayer Servers or any part of PlayFab, email us to get started.
If you get the chance to try out the new service, please send us feedback! We are hard at work building additional features for you to leverage in the coming months, including a Unity sample, portal experiences for Linux virtual machines, and more analytical tools.